Make Your Own Sorbet Recipe
In the summer months when varieties of fruits start flooding the market, you must be at your wit’s ends as to how to make full use of the fruits. Sorbet is the right answer. The sorbet can be made of any fruit such as strawberry, raspberry, watermelon, mango etc or of a combination of fruits. It is easy to make your own sorbet recipe at home and you can refrigerate the sorbet for a month and use it.
Sorbet recipe is nothing but a prepared mixture of fruit puree and sugar; that’s all. It is so simple that you may not believe. But the recipe is incredibly tasty and refreshingly cool and creamy. You may use sugar or syrup. The simple syrup can be made by mixing equal quantities of water and sugar and boiling the mixture till all the sugar gets dissolved.
Most of the summer fruits are sweet enough so that you will not need much sugar to add. You can add sugar keeping allowances for refrigeration needs as freezing may slightly dull the sugary taste.
Sugar is the king for sorbet recipe
Sugar plays most important roles in sorbet making. The sugar not only imparts sweetness but also is responsible for the texture of the sorbet. Less sugar and the sorbet are icy. More of a sugar you get slushy sorbet. The perfect sugar makes the sorbet creamy and it melts evenly on your tongue.
There is a simple way to check the exactness of the sugar. Wash clean an egg and put the egg in the strained fruit puree and sugar mixture, called sorbet base. If a nickel sized circle is seen over the liquid the sugar is optimum. If the egg sinks add more sugar. If bigger circle appears apply some water or fruit puree.
Be creative with sorbet
- Use combination of fruits and herbs to infuse unique flavor and taste.
- You may add a little liquor for a grown up taste
- Splash of cream or coconut milk and you get the taste of sherbet.
Ingredients for 8 servings:
- Fresh fruits 2 pounds
- Sugar 1 cup
- Water 1 cup
- Lemon juice 1 to 4 table spoon
Direction for preparing own sorbet recipe:
- Put all the ice cream bases in the refrigerator 24 hours before you start making the sorbet
- Get all the fruits for preparing the fruits for making puree. Wash, dry the fruits. Remove all the peels, seeds, rinds and other non-edible parts from the fruits. Slice the fruits to make 5 cups of fruit slices.
- Mix the sugar and the water in saucepan. Simmer for 5 minutes when all the sugar gets dissolved. Syrup is ready.
- Take the fruit in a mixing bowl and pour ½ cup of syrup. Blend till all the solid fruit slices are completely liquefied.
- Strain the mixture using a fine mesh. Stir gently with a spoon and do not force the course material into the base.
- Check the sugar level using egg
- Add lemon juice to taste
- Churn the base in ice cream machine to thick smoothie. It takes 15 minutes.
- Freeze the sorbet base for 4 hours
- Serve the sorbet recipe in serving bowls
Calorie for ½ cup of sorbet recipe is only 36 calories. (Source)
Also you can make strawberry sorbet recipe with the help of strawberries.
Other popular low calorie recipes: