A Detailed Focus on Dr. OZ Diet
Have you tried losing some extra pounds through exercising and trying out numerous diet plans but nothing seems to work? Well, you are not alone. Many people are struggling with weight loss issues not only because of poor health habits or lifestyle but also because of lacking reliable weight loss information. However, in the midst of all the ineffective or bogus information and diet plans available today, experts like Dr. Oz appear to have the answer to this problem.
Who is Dr. Oz?
Celebrity heart surgeon Mehmet Cengiz Oz or otherwise known as Dr. Oz was born in Cleveland, Ohio on June 11, 1960. A significant portion of his popularity is owed to his regular appearance on the popular Oprah Winfrey Show before starring in his own show, The Dr. Oz Show. Dr. Oz is not only a Harvard University alumnus where he earned his biology degree but also an MD and MBA holder from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and The Wharton School respectively.
How Dr. OZ’s Diet Plan can you help to Lose Weight?
Dr. Oz 21-Day Weight Loss Plan
If you are too impatient to lose weight, and the effectiveness of the available diet plans appear to be dependent on using them for a long duration, think of Dr. Oz’s 21-day weight loss breakthrough diet. This easy to follow plan stresses the relevance of consuming plant-based proteins. According to Dr. Oz, his teams at The Good Life Magazine and The Dr. Oz Show combined the latest research to come up with the refined weight loss breakthrough that promises to change the way you eat, look and feel for the whole year.
What’s even more exciting about the 21-day weight loss breakthrough is that it delivers certain health benefits apart from weight loss including reduced risk of chronic disease. Also, the teams involved in creating the plan relied on up-to-date research as well as the needs and wants of the consumers. For the 21 days, you will be required to eat only real whole foods without having to worry about calorie counting.
In case you think following the plan will be boring due to the salads involved, then prepare to be amazed. You will realize that numerous foods fall under the plant-based proteins category once you check out the provided diet shopping list of allowable healthy foods including whole grains, seeds and nuts. What’s more, you are allowed to utilize the Dr. Oz application in every step of your weight loss journey when following this revolutionary weight loss plan. Here is the 21-day weight loss breakthrough weekly shopping list to get you started.
- 7 cups of Tempeh
- 7 cups of beans of your choice
- 2 blocks of tofu
- 1-7 oz. bottle of extra virgin olive oil
- 1-10 oz. bag of nuts
- 1 bag of Ezekiel bread
Produce 14 servings of fruits of your choice including 7 bananas and 7 apples
Unlimited Non-Starchy Veggies of your Choice
- Hearts of Palm
- Water chestnuts
- Spaghetti squash and among many others
- Arugula among others
Dr. OZ 5 Day Diet
The 5-day diet is generally about changing when you eat. In fact, Nutritionist Kellyann Petrucci says, the designer of the diet plan, said that following it cannot only impact your waistline but also assist you in slimming down rapidly. Step one of this diet plan emphasizes hydration whereby you are required to take lemon water after waking up to relieve bloat and get rid of toxins from your body. Staying hydrated throughout the day whether by taking water or coffee suppresses hunger, thus allowing you to fast for an extended duration.
Have your first meal of the day, a slimming shake coupled with fresh berries, leafy greens and protein powder, at 11.00 am. The veggies and fruits deliver the much-needed nutrients and fiber for digestive support and energy while protein helps to satisfy your hunger. For the rest part of your day, you should eat after every 2-3 hours. At lunch, have a mini-fast meal that includes four ounces of proteins like chicken and two tablespoons of healthy fats. Later at around 4 p.m., keep your cravings at bay by taking another slimming shake.
To close the day, between 6 and 7 p.m., ensure that you have another mini-fast meal that includes an additional half cup of legumes like lentils and black beans. These legumes help you to avoid bloating while delivering more fiber to your body. Once you are done having your dinner, grab a low-sugar, high-protein dessert. It acts like the icing on the cake and makes you look forward to following the plan the next day for the entire five days.
Dr. Oz’s talk on “lose 30 pounds in 30 days”
Losing your undesired weight in a day or a week is possible, but seeing long-term changes and adopting a sustainable lifestyle can be a daunting task. To help you out, certified dietitian Nazirber De La Cruz, CDN, RDN, provided some recommendations for anyone seeking to shed off weight in 30 days on The Dr. Oz Show. First, you need to set yourself up for success by coming up with a realistic plan, creating a workout plan and shopping for healthy produce. Next, make sure that you eat the recommended foods as well as prepare and make food logging. Lastly, try to incorporate a high-intensity interval training regimen into your routine and sleep at least for seven hours each day to recover and keep your hunger pangs in check.
What did he say on Negative Calorie Food?
Dr. Neal Barnard, the author behind Foods That Cause You to Lose Weight: The Negative Calorie Effect, claimed on The Dr. Oz Show that there is a wide array of foods with a negative-calorie effect that is known for boosting metabolism and aiding weight loss.
These foods are mostly derived from plants and contain high fiber and water content. Their fibrous nature makes them ideal for you since the body takes extra time to burn such foods , which ensures that your metabolism remains high. Here are the 20 fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes that make up this category and you can add them into your recipe rotation for effective weight loss. They include:
- Black beans
- Kidney beans
- Sweet potatoes
Dr. OZ Recipes for Weight Loss
Dr. Oz’s Two-Week Rapid Weight-Loss Recipes:
Dr. Oz introduced the two-week rapid weight-loss diet plan in his show, which aired on January 06, 2014. The audience who participated in the step-by-step slimming plan claimed to have lost approximately total of 1093 pounds or an average of 9 pounds per person. The following are some of the popular recipes to use when following this diet plan.
1st Recipe : Breakfast Smoothie
- 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds
- 2 tablespoons of rice powder protein
- ½ a banana
- ½ cup of frozen berries
- 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
How to make it?
Mix all the ingredients until you attain the preferred consistency.
2nd Recipe : Vegetable Broth
What does it include?
- 1 large chopped onion
- 3 quarts water
- 2 sliced carrots
- 1 cup root vegetables (can include either rutabagas, parsnips, and turnips for sweetness)
- 1 cup winter squash, i.e. cut into large cubes
- ½ cup cabbage
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 cloves of whole garlic
- 4 ½ fresh ginger slices
- Sea salt
How to make it?
- Mix all the ingredients at once and low boil the mixture for almost 60 minutes. Although it may take longer, ensure you boil to taste.
- Cool and get rid of the cooked vegetables. Consequently, store the resulting mixture in a tightly-sealed, large glass container. You can keep it in the fridge and heat gently when drinking (3-4 cups per day).
3rd Recipe: Portobello Mushroom Salad
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 large Portobello mushrooms
- 2 cups sugar snap peas
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 diced tomato
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 cup chopped asparagus
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- ½ cup cooked brown rice
- tbsp minced Thai chili pepper
- 2 tbsp juiced lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp lemon zest
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- Sesame seeds
- Use a spoon to get rid of the black membrane from the mushrooms before seasoning it with olive oil and salt. Then, roast it in the oven at 375°F for 5-10 minutes.
- Mix carrots, tomatoes, sugar snap peas, asparagus and bean sprouts in a bowl
- Boil brown rice and preheat a saucepan with water. When cooked, shock using cold water and then include the salad mixture.
- Take a different bowl, whisk ginger, lemon juice, Thai chili pepper, sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic and lemon zest. Add this dressing to the salad and leave it for about 10 minutes in the fridge. Later, garnish with sesame seeds and cabbage and its ready to eat.
4th Recipe : White Chili
What makes up this recipe?
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 diced medium onion (1 ½ cups)
- 2 diced medium onion (1 ½ cups)
- 3 medium Anaheim/Serrano/Poblano peppers (diced and de-ripped)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 minced clove garlic
- 1lb ground white meat turkey
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2(15.5-oz) cans cannellini beans
- Salt to taste
- ¾ teaspoon Dr.ied oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges
- ¼ cup nonfat, plain Greek-style yoghurt
How to prepare it?
- Heat the ½ tbsp. of olive oil over moderate heat in a large pot. Include the celery, Poblano peppers, onion. Cook while occasionally stirring, about 8 minutes, until the vegetables are soft. Once done, add cayenne, cumin and garlic. Consequently, cook them for nearly 30 minutes and stir until fragrant.
- Include the ground turkey and cook it until the pink color is no longer visible, for about two minutes. Next, add the oregano, broth and white beans. Cook the mixture while partially covered and make sure you stir occasionally. After 25 minutes, add more cayenne pepper (to taste) and salt. Continue to cook the same way as before for another 10 minutes.
- Serve into separate bowls, and then add 1 ½ teaspoon of cilantro and one tablespoon of yoghurt on top of each serving. Finally, garnish using lime wedge.
5th recipe : Spicy Salmon Steaks
What does it include?
- Juice from 1 fresh lemon
- ½ cup of cooked brown rice
- 2 salmon steaks
- ½ finely chopped bunch of cilantro
- 4 cloves of fresh garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon of crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
How to prepare the Spicy Salmon Steaks?
- To start the preparation process, wash the two salmon steaks and marinate them using turmeric, salt, cumin, garlic paste and red pepper for about 15 minutes. Then, use a non-stick pan to heat the avocado oil before including the marinated fish to sauté on both sides. Once two minutes are done, cover the pan using a foil and leave it in the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Place the cooked brown rice inside a bowl and mix with a 1 tsp. of lemon juice, pepper to taste and some salt. After mixing it well, serve equal amount in two plates.
- Take the baked salmons and place them on each plate of brown rice before garnishing with chopped cilantro.
The 21-Day Weight Loss Breakthrough Diet Recipe Box
As explained earlier, this diet plan acts as a nutritional reset that helps you achieve your weight loss goals. While making you feel full and satisfied, it allows you to heal your digestive tract, boost your metabolism and suppress food cravings. Each day, this plant-based diet allows you to have one serving of grains, two fruit servings, three servings of healthy fats, three servings of plant proteins and unlimited non-starchy veggies. Even so, it allows you to eat animal protein and even dairy, but not utmost twice per week. Here are some of the recipes under this plan to help you kick-start your slimming journey.
1st recipe : Avocado Toast
This recipe is popular amongst both health gurus and nutritionists, as it gives you the needed fiber and healthy fat to start your morning.
What do you need to make it?
- 1 slice Ezekiel bread
- ½ avocado
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
How to prepare it?
Start by toasting the slice of bread, and then spread your avocado on top of the toast. Finally, you can add various toppings of your choice including strawberries, sriracha, red pepper flakes and among others.
2nd recipe : Go-to Berries
The importance of this recipe is that it provides you with the needed daily fruit dose. A single serving should be ½ cup.
What is needed?
- ½ cup blackberries
- ½ cup raspberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (or to taste)
- Pinch of coarse salt
How to make it?
Place and mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Keep the mixture chilled and you can eat it as a snack. You can include it on top of your yogurt.
3rd recipe : Oatmeal
This oatmeal recipe makes up an ideal morning treat. Aside from being healthy and tasty, it gives you increased energy to begin your day.
What is it made up of?
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 3 cups 1% milk or soy milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 pinches nutmeg
- ¼ tsp coarse salt
- Start by toasting one cup of oats over medium heat. Stair them for three-four minutes before transferring them into a plate and rinsing the pot.
- Boil the milk over medium heat using the same pot. Stir in the oats, cinnamon stick nutmeg and coarse salt. Make sure you simmer on low heat while occasionally stirring until the mixture is creamy (25 minutes).
- Once done, remove the cinnamon stick then transfer the creamy mix into three ½ -cup portions into containers and keep them chilled. You can then serve or even freeze the leftovers for another week.
4th recipe : Yoghurt Bowl
The 21-day weight loss breakthrough diet allows you to have dairy utmost twice per week. Hence, on the days you decide to enjoy a little milk, include this yogurt bowl coupled with a fruit serving on top.
What does it include?
- ½ cup go-to berries
- 1 ½ cups of plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 2 ½ tbsp. chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
How to make it?
Begin by splitting your yogurt into two ¾ cup servings. Then, include half a cup of go-to berries on top of each yogurt serving. Add the other ingredients including chopped mint and chopped walnuts. Once you are done, keep it chilled before you enjoy the burst of flavor in your mouth.
5th recipe : Quinoa
This staple grain is included in the 21-day weight loss breakthrough diet thanks to its delicious, nutritious and filling nature. The good thing about this homemade recipe is that it is easy to make.
What to use?
- 1 1/3 cups of quinoa
- 2 2/3 cups water
How to make it?
- Mix water with quinoa inside a pot and leave the mixture to boil. Cover it and minimize heat to low. Then, simmer (15 minutes) until quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed.
- After you are sure the quinoa is tender, remove it from heat to allow it to cool. You can then serve or transfer it into a container for chilling until it’s ready for eating. The leftover quinoa can be frozen for another week.
What is Vitamin B12 Weight Loss Dr. Oz?
Vitamin B12 is irrefutably a vital nutrient for your body, especially for a healthy nervous system and the production of red blood cells. One of the contributors on The Dr. Oz Show, Kate Geagan, MS, RD, discussed with Dr. Oz and Dr. Katz on the show about the vitamin.
The three experts also looked at the main groups that are likely to have insufficient levels of Vitamin B12. They include people:
- Who are more than 50 years
- Who have gastrointestinal issues or have gone through gastrointestinal surgeries
- Who are taking certain medications like pump inhibitors for heartburn and regular aspirin consumption
Short-term deficiency of vitamin B12 can cause various side effects including mood changes, deep fatigue, low energy levels and dementia-like qualities. On the other hand, long-term deficiency can trigger permanent nerve damage. You can look at the following symptoms to know whether your vitamin B12 levels are below optimum.
Symptoms of Vitamin B12 Deficiency
- Red, swollen and cracked tongue
- Difficulty in recalling things or concentration
- Overall lack of body energy/fatigue
- Numbness or tingling feet or hands
- Unusual mood swings
- Jaundiced or pale skin
- Balance problems when moving or walking
- Feeling dizzy or even out of breath
- Compromised vision
To enhance vitamin B12 levels in the body, Dr. Oz, Katz and Kate suggested various effective solutions. They include eating nutritional yeast that is fortified with Vitamin B12, seafood like clams or even animal foods such as buffalo slider or bison.
Did Dr. Oz Recommend Keto Diet?
Dr. Oz shared his opinion on the Keto diet during one of his shows, which included Andew and Kendy as guests. Kendy’s goal was to lose 30 pounds but none of her approaches including dieting and exercising worked. Although Dr. Oz gave the green light for Kendy to follow the Keto diet, he had some concerns including inadequate information about its effects on diseases. Furthermore, he added that it would be really easy for Kendy to drop out of ketosis if she intentionally or unintentionally cheated by simply including an extra bun to the burger.
If you are not familiar with Keto diet, it is among the popular weight loss diets in the market today. It entails taking a low carb, high fat and moderate protein diet. The diet is not only satisfying and tasty, but it also helps to get your body into ketosis, which forces the body to break down the stored fat for energy due to low carbs in the body.
Dr. Oz HCG diet
HCG for weight loss is undeniably a controversial topic among nutritionists, dietitians, physicians and other parties. People cannot seem to agree whether it is the injections that work, the accompanying low-calorie diet or both. As such, Dr. Oz challenged an HCG expert, Dr. Sheri L. Emma, to conduct extra research on the hormone in a bid to convince him that it works.
According to Dr. Emma’s research, HCG hormone is not responsible for weight loss. However, the calorie restriction diet is the cause. The shots simply change how weight loss takes place. The HCG hormone suppresses hunger, allowing users to eat limited calories comfortably. It is also a pro-hormone, meaning that it aids the body in making additional hormones. Bear in mind hormonal imbalance or deficiency is one of the main causes of weight gain.
What is Dr. Oz's Pegan 365 Diet?
The Pegan 365 Diet combines the best aspects of both the paleo and vegan lifestyles to create a diet plan that can assist you in eating healthy all year round. The resultant weight loss program is based on the consumption of whole foods and can help you to lose about one or two pounds per week. For effective results, the Pegan diet plan requires you to eat five plus cups of vegetables, four carbohydrates, three proteins, two healthy fats, and one daily substitute each day.
The exciting bit about this easy-to-use program is that it allows you to have a cheat day once per week. As such, you can have two drinks per week or dessert twice a week to avoid feeling left out.
Does Dr. Oz still Practice Medicine?
Aside from being a renowned author and television talk show host, Dr. Oz or Mehmet Oz is a certified and acclaimed cardiothoracic surgeon. Armed with a medical license in his arsenal, he is in charge of directing the Cardiovascular Institute and Complementary Medicine Program at the Presbyterian Hospital in New York.
In a nutshell, there’s no denying that Dr. Oz is a force to reckon with as far as health-oriented media is concerned. His record both on TV and as a practicing heart surgeon is nothing short of impressive and speaks for itself. Despite creating remarkable diet plans and hosting informative health experts on his show, Dr. Oz has elicited a lot of criticism, especially for promoting dietary supplements that are claimed to have no scientific backing. Nonetheless, he has managed to remain unshaken and continues to give hope and provide informative content on health matters to his many viewers.